I’m usually not a fan of sweet popcorn, at all. Salty is my thing. But when my sister insisted we try make our own popcorn from scratch and add some sweet goodness to it, I caved. It turned out to be so amazing and so addictive! And since ‘stay in and watch movie’ weather is upon us, I stirred up these crunchy things a couple more times till I perfected the recipe and now would like to share it with you 🙂
This popcorn is crunchy with a caramelised sweetness from the maple and golden syrup that just couldn’t compliment the nutty taste from the pecan nuts and peanut butter any better! The sea salt and cinnamon give the flavour depth and bring it all together so nicely. Each popped corn is heaven in your mouth 🙂 What makes this vegan snack even better is how easy it is to whip up and can be prepared in big batches and stored in an airtight container. Made with only the very best of ingredients and nowhere near as sinful as it looks, this popcorn will have you looking forward to movie nights just that little bit more! And for those of you trying to eat cleaner and healthier, this is a perfect treat. Warning: it’s addictive 😀
Gets you 1 medium bowl full (about 7 cups popped corn)
1/2 cup corn kernels (50grams)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup pecan nuts, chopped (60grams)
100ml maple syrup
20ml golden syrup
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
How to Make the Nutty Caramel Popcorn
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c (fan assisted)
2. In a large pot* add the coconut oil and let it get hot. You should test whether it’s reached the desired temperature by chucking in 2 corn kernels and covering the lid (DO NOT pop popcorn without the lid on people!). Shake the pot around a little to help them pop. Once they have popped, quickly take them out and add the 1/2 cup of corn kernels.
*Remember that the corn kernels will increase in size, so make sure you have a good sized pot
3. Now keep an eye on them (I have a glass lid to my pot and watching the corn pop was so fun!). It should take about 6 minutes for the corn to fully pop. You’ll know when it’s ready when the space between pops is just a few seconds (just like with microwave popcorn…minus all the processed buttery syrup 🙂 ) Set the popcorn aside.
4. In a small saucepan bring the maple and golden syrup to a boil (or just use maple…whatever you have).
5. Once it’s all bubbly, foamy and has risen to the rim, turn off the heat and add the peanut butter, vanilla essence, cinnamon, sea salt and poppy seeds. Combine everything really well till it forms a thick ‘sauce’ consistency. Now mix in the chopped pecan nuts.
6. Pour the thick syrup goodness over the popcorn in the pot, and using a spatula fold the popcorn into the syrup. Make sure each little popped corn has a slather of the nutty mixture.
7. On a baking tray lined with parchment paper spread the popcorn out evenly and make sure there are no clusters (at the moment the popcorn is a little sticky so will clump if you don’t separate it). Place in the oven and watch it like a hawk (I was drooling…)!
8. After about 3 minutes slide the tray out and move the popcorn around with your spatula so they get an even coat of heat. 5mins tops and my popcorn was looking golden brown, the nuts looked caramelised and mamamia when I tried one it was soon crunchy and good!